Seven out of seven for Siddal

Siddal made it seven wins from seven games with victory over Rochdale Mayfield.

The visitors were on the scoreboard early. Prop forward Gareth English was held short of the line but managed to off load to full back Scott Caley who darted in under the posts.

The Conference’s top point scorer Gareth Blackburn added the conversion to give the visitors a 6-0 lead after two minutes.

Mayfield mounted some pressure on the Siddal line, resulting in prop forward Luke Sampson crashing through poor defence for a try. Fellow prop forward Aidy Gleeson added the conversion to level the score at 6-6.

Mayfield continued to pepper the Siddal defence with centre Simon Moore making two clear breaks, only to be denied tries by man of the match Scott Caley.

The pressure was relieved when, on 25 minutes skipper Nick Smith created a clear opening for Chris Brooke to touch down.

Siddal’s outstanding try of the afternoon arrived after hooker Sean McCormack made a break, offloaded to Caley who in turn sent Steve Illingworth in for a try under the posts. Blackburn converted to give the visitors a 16-6 half time lead.

Mayfield looked dangerous in the early stages of the second period but good defence from Emerson Newburn, Chris Marsh and James Simeunovich kept them out. Eventually Mayfield winger Kristian Duffy took advantage of poor tackling to cross the whitewash for a try. Gleeson added the goal to narrow the score at 16-12 on 45 minutes.

From the restart McCormack produced a crunching tackle on Australian Taurean Sheehan, who knocked on, resulting in Gareth Blackburn collecting the ball to race over the line. Blackburn goaled to give Siddal a 22-12 lead.

Siddal forwards Austin Barrowclough, Danny Williams and Craig Sanderson tried to break the resilient Mayfield defence but the home side rallied with James Kelly racing through the Siddal line to narrow the gap to 22-16, Gleeson again converting.

Mayfield were enjoying a purple patch at this stage and Siddal’s out of sorts defence was broken again when Joe Quianli broke clear to touch down wide out to level the scores at 22-22 on the hour.

Siddal replied well after the Quianli try, teenagers Jake Smith and Macauley Higgins being heavily involved in the next try for flying winger Blackburn in the corner. Blackburn converted from the touchline to restore the lead for the visitors at 28-22.

Chris Brooke then gave Siddal a seven point lead with a well taken drop goal.

The visitors’ next try, on 72 minutes, was created by the outstanding Scott Caley, who made a break and sent in Blackburn for another try in the corner.

Again Blackburn superbly converted from the touchline, to complete his side’s victory.