Sparkling Siddal put cup rout behind them

Have your say

East Hull 10 Siddal 34

Siddal showed they might still have a trophy left in them this season with a scintillating return to National Conference League Premier Division action on Humberside.

They had plenty of critics - including coach Lee Greenwood - after their BARLA National Cup collapse at Wigan St Patrick’s the previous weekend and this was the perfect response.

The fourth-placed side remain in contention for top place, along with Thatto Heath, Leigh East and next week’s Chevinedge visitors Leigh Miners Rangers, ahead of the play-offs.

Siddal showed their intent early on with strong running from forwards Gareth English, Luke Simeunovich and Simeon Hoyle, which set up the platform for the first try.

Half back Chris Brooke created an opening for centre Chris Marsh to power through to the try line. Gareth Blackburn added the conversion to give the visitors a 6-0 lead after five minutes.

Five minutes later Marsh was involved in the second try after making a break down the left hand side. He drew Easts full back Jason Abdul before sending the supporting Hoyle in for a try. Again Blackburn converted.

Siddal had further chances but dropped the ball in key areas.

However, their domination continued with second rowers James Simeunovich and Nick Smith getting through plenty of work in attack and defence.

Midway through the first half Siddal had a try disallowed after the final pass from Chris Brooke to Gareth Blackburn was ruled forward by referee Jamie Bloem, the former Halifax fullback.

Hooker Craig Sanderson and halfback Steve Illingworth both made breaks through the Easts line.

Ten minutes before the break centre Andy Bowman showed great foot work to race over the line. Blackburn made it 18-0 with another goal.

On 45 minutes Siddal increased their lead to 22-0. Teenage winger Emerson Newburn pounced on a loose ball near the Siddal line and showed a great turn of speed to race the length of the field.

Siddal’s attacking flair continued on 54 minutes when good approach work from Peter Howard and Richard Cassanova resulted in Bowman sending in Newburn for his second try wide out. Blackburn converted to give Siddal a commanding 28-0 lead.

On the hour mark Easts stand off Gary Blanchard put a high kick into the Siddal dead ball area for centre Chris Lyth to out-jump the defence and touch down. Jordan Precious added the conversion.

Siddal’s final try came on the back of good work from Jack Holmes and Sean McCormack. James Simeunovich took the ball in and superbly offloaded a short ball to Scott Caley, who crossed the line.

Blackburn converted but Easts, to their credit, did not throw in the towel and Lyth got his second try wide out after the home backs kept the ball alive.