Brother of bride’s wedding day brawl

Dunkenhalgh Hotel
Dunkenhalgh Hotel

The brother of the bride ended up in handcuffs and the bride ended up in tears after her wedding at a four star hotel in Lancashire .

Blackburn magistrates heard Simon Dennett, 19, of Brunel Court, Halifax, marred his sister’s big day by his antics at Dunkenhalgh Hotel, Clayton-le-Moors.

PC Victoria Wilson, who eventually hauled him away, told of her sympathy for the bride when she saw her in “floods of tears”. She said: “My heart went out to her. It was so sad that this had happened on her special day.”

Neil White, prosecuting, said a hotel supervisor spoke to Dennett at 7pm as he was running around the hotel bare chested. At 8pm he was bringing his own drink into the venue and at 11pm police were called as he was fighting in the conservatory. Dennett eventually broke away from the other man and ran outside the hotel where he knocked two stone plant pots off their plinths causing an estimated £600 worth of damage.

Mr White said: “Police arrived and he was detained inside the hotel after a struggle. A night porter went to assist the officer and he was head butted on the right side of his face causing cuts to his mouth.”

Ian Huggan, mitigating, said Dennett had a number of personal issues with management and control and had difficulty engaging with people.

He said: “One of the issues he has is when people restrict his personal space or take hold of him. He was anxious that he wouldn’t get involved in any trouble and he and his family were very pleased with the way things had gone.”

Mr Huggan said the trouble at the end of the night was caused when a fellow guest took hold of Dennett and gripped him against the wall.

He said: “He accepts he reacted and when he went outside he acted out of frustration. He was upset because it was his sister’s wedding and she was upset by what had happened to her brother. She went on honeymoon in the early hours of this morning and the last thing she did was wish her brother good luck for today.”

Dennett pleaded guilty to damaging two stone pots and assaulting Eddie Jenkins and was remanded on bail for sentencing.