Couple renew vows after ‘near death’ experience

editorial image

Devoted couple Sue and Barry Tate have renewed their wedding vows - almost a year since he ‘came back from the dead’ after a heart attack.

The Courier reported last November how Barry, 48, became a medical miracle when he survived after flatlining for 45 minutes following a heart attack.

Paramedics had to use a defibrillator five times while performing CPR before a weak pulse was found and he was rushed to Calderdale Royal Hospital.

He was put into a medically-induced coma and it wasn’t until the sixth attempt by doctors to bring him out of it, that Mr Tate’s brain started to work.

It has since been a long road for the couple, of Brooklands, Hipperholme, as Mr Tate recovers from the effects of the oxygen starvation to his brain.

But he is now back at work and to celebrate their “second chance” the couple renewed their vows at Baines Hall at Elland Cricket Club.

Sue, 52, said: “It was just an absolutely fabulous day. It meant the world to us both. We both did our own vows, saying what we wanted to say.

“It was so great we did it and so great that people shared it with us. Everyone has been coming up to us saying how fantastic it was and how emotional. It’s just so lovely because Barry has been through so much. This is a second chance. He’s a hero.”

Barry is now back at work full-time at a warehouse in Elland but still has problems with memory, particularly short term. Sue said: “He’s still gradually getting better. Whatever Barry does now, his brain is rewiring. He gets frustrated because of his memory. He can’t go anywhere new and try to find his own way back home. Renewing our vows was something Barry wanted to do a couple of years ago - and that was something he did remember.”

The couple’s granddaughters Teigan, 10, Shannon, eight and Kady, five, were bridesmaids and grandson Yestyn, eight, was pageboy.

**Barry and Sue Tate used their special day to raise cash for charities which have helped through his ordeal.
More than £2,000 was raised, with the majority going to the British Heart Foundation (BHF), and the remainder to the Coronary Care Unit at Calderdale Royal Infirmary, Leeds General Infirmary and Yorkshire Ambulance Service.
Sue said: “It was just a little thank you for all the people who have helped Barry. It was massively important to him, because without the work of the BHF work he wouldn’t be here. Without the work of a lot of people - first aiders, paramedics, A&E, all the way through - he wouldn’t be here.” 
Sue also wanted to thank Richard and Cathy Lisle, the owners of Treadmill Gym in Holmfield.
She said: “They have helped Barry a great deal. After seeing the article about Barry in the Courier on November 30, they called to see him and offer him a lifetime free membership at their gym and this they have honoured. I am convinced their assistance at the gym has very much helped Barry on his road to recovery.”