Assault teen will work

A TEENAGER who assaulted a man at his home leaving him unconscious, battered and bruised has been ordered to do unpaid work for the community.

Dominic Neill’s barrister told a judge at Bradford Crown Court yesterday that the 18-year-old had been blamed unfairly for some of the damage.

The court also heard that he had tried to sort things out with Christopher Sutcliffe in June.

Barrister Jayne Beckett said Neill, of Malham Road, Rastrick, was concerned that something might happen while he was looking after his young child.

Neill was motivated after receiving threats via Facebook –so he decided to go round to Mr Sutcliffe’s home in Rastrick.

The court heard that when Mr Sutcliffe answered the door Neill kicked out at him and punched him in the face.

Prosecutor Paul Nicholson said the pair started grappling and the fight moved into the living room.

Neill continued his violent assault, punching the complainant until Sutcliffe lost consciousness.

As soon as he realised his victim had become unresponsive, Neill panicked and fled the house.

The court heard that Mr Sutcliffe, who was unconscious for a short period of time, suffered cuts, bruising and swelling, particularly to his face.

Some of the injuries were also clear on his body.

When Neill was questioned by police in relation to the incident he said he knew what he had done was wrong.

At an earlier hearing Neill pleaded guilty to a charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Mrs Beckett said the offence had been a “one-off”.

“I submit that having done wrong he has at least dealt with this as responsibly as he could,” she said.

She said her client was now taking a course to become a qualified plumber.

Recorder Neil Davey QC said the offence had taken place against a background of antagonism between the two men.

He said it was only down to good luck that Mr Sutcliffe had not suffered more serious injury as a result of the attack.

However, he also noted that there were good things which could be said on Neill’s behalf.

He accepted that the teenager was now remorseful for what he had done.

Neill was sentenced to do 150 hours unpaid work under the terms of a 12- month community order.