Attempted abduction of girl, 7, in Mixenden

editorial image

Police are appealing for witnesses after an attempted abduction of a seven-year-old girl in Mixenden on Tuesday.

The incident happened at 6pm as the girl was approached by a man in a white van. He took hold of the girl and told her she was going with him.

The victim managed to kick the man and ran away.

A man officers want to speak to in connection with the incident is described as Asian, aged between 30 and 40 and wearing navy blue adidas beanie hat and black tracksuit with stubble and a pierced lip.

Officers are investigating a similar report of man approaching two 13-year-old girls walking along Pellon Lane, Halifax. The girls were approached by male of a similar description in a vehicle of a similar description. The man asked them to get in the van but did not make any physical attempt to make them do so.

Officers investigating both incidents are also aware of rumours circulating via social media about other community concern around allegations of other attempted abductions in the Calderdale area.

They are currently investigating one incident that happened on September 17 on Edward Road, Sowerby Bridge.

The victim, an 8-year-old girl, was approached by a man in a dark coloured van who asked her: “Do you want to come into the back of my van?”

The girl ran home, screaming.

Superintendent Martin Lister of Calderdale Police, said: “I am appealing directly to anyone who witnessed any of these incidents to contact police straight away.

“Obviously people are concerned about the seriousness of these incidents and local neighbourhood policing team officers are increasing patrols in the area to not only provide a visible and reassuring presence to the community but also to look for the person or people responsible.

“I would ask people to remain vigilant and alert but not to be alarmed as police and partners are dealing with these allegations. I would also ask that people help police and partners to investigate these incidents and any witnesses are asked to contact police on 101.”