Diner’s car crash escape

editorial image

A DRINK-driver crashed his car through a shop window then hid from police behind his garden shed, a court heard.

Bradford Crown Court heard witnesses saw the Corsa speeding down Sandhall Lane before mounting the pavement.

Shazad Rashid crashed his Vauxhall Corsa at the junction of Sandhall Lane and Gibbet Street in Highroad Well, Halifax, last August.

It smashed into the front wall of a take-away restaurant narrowly avoiding hitting a female customer sitting in the window waiting for her order.

The woman, who was pulled clear of the car at the last second by her husband, suffered minor injuries.

Following the crash Rashid reversed the car and attempted to drive away, but damage to the vehicle slowed his escape.

The court heard how the shop owner then went out to tell Rashid to wait in the car because the police were on the way, but Rashid instead got out of the car and threatened to run the shop owner over if he didn’t move.

As the shop owner retreated, 26-year-old Rashid got back in the car and fled.

Using his registration plate, police were able to trace the car to Rashid’s address in Thrum Hall Lane where they found the battered car on the drive and the defendant hidden behind his garden shed.

A blood sample taken three hours after the incident revealed Rashid had 111 micro grams of blood per 100 millilitres, with further tests suggesting the reading could have been as high as 174 micro grams at the time of the crash.

The legal limit is 80 micro grams.

In interview Rashid told police he had crashed into the shop after swerving to avoid a cat that he claims had run into the road in front of him.

He also said he had drunk two cans of lager after getting home from the incident.

He later admitted dangerous driving, drink driving and using threatening behaviour.

Judge Colin Burn told Rashid: “If you do what you did on that night in August every time you have a drink it is going to ruin your life and have ghastly effect on others too.”

Rashid, now of Highroad Well Lane, was given a 12-month community order made up of 180 hours unpaid work and a three month 9pm-7am curfew.