Driver locked up after 70mph crash into a nurse’s car

A 20-year-old man who crashed his disabled mother’s car into a nurse’s vehicle before being involved in a high-speed police pursuit has been locked up for 18 months.

The nurse had been turning right off Rochdale Road on a January night when she heard the sound of screeching brakes and saw the Nissan Qashqai coming towards her.

Bradford Crown Court heard how the nurse estimated the vehicle was doing about 70mph when it came out of Willow Hall Lane and collided with the left side of her Peugeot.

Although the Nissan stopped nearby by it was then driven off at speed towards King Cross leaving the nurse with scratches to her body from flying glass as well as whiplash and back pain.

The Peugeot was also written off in the collision.

Prosecutor Paul Nicholson said the Nissan driver Luke Green was later spotted travelling at high speed along the A58 and he was pursued by a police patrol car at speeds up to 90mph.

The court heard that Green continued to drive had high speeds even on roads with speed bumps and eventually the police officer decided to abort the pursuit because he was concerned about the defendant’s driving.

Soon after however the Nissan collided with the offices of Pennine Housing in the Bull Green area and Green tried to run away from the scene.

‘’A police dog found the defendant hiding in a garden,’’ said Mr Nicholson.

The court heard that Green’s mother only became aware of her car’s involvement when police knocked on her door.

Mr Nicholson said she wanted her son prosecuted for taking the car and was very disappointed with his behaviour.

Green, of Hunter Hill Road, Mixenden, admitted offences of aggravated vehicle taking, dangerous driving, driving without insurance and driving without a licence.

He also asked for three offences of shoplifting to be taken into consideration.

The court heard that Green had a record of previous convictions and his barrister Abigail Langford conceded that her client had a problem with drinking.

She said the father-of-one had expressed remorse for what he had done and realised he had cause damage to his own family relationships.

Recorder Christopher Attwooll said the incident had been an extremely serious offence.

‘’You put yourself at risk and you put the lives of others at risk,’’ he told Green.

Green was sentenced to 18 months in a young offender institution and he was also disqualified from driving for 18 months.