Driver who ran down Halifax nightclubber in revenge attack gets nearly five years in jail

Jailed: Azeem Siddique was jailed for 56 months for GBH with intent
Jailed: Azeem Siddique was jailed for 56 months for GBH with intent

An angry driver who ran down a nightclubber on a Halifax street in a revenge attack has been jailed for almost five years.

Azeem Siddique’s victim 29-year-old Jamie Thompson suffered a fracture to the base of his skull and bruising to the brain when he was struck by a black Audi in Silver Street last June.

The early morning incident was captured on graphic CCTV footage which was shown at Bradford Crown Court and Judge Jonathan Rose said it was nothing short of a miracle that Mr Thompson had survived the collision.

The court heard that Siddique and his friends had been driving around in the Audi looking for Mr Thompson and his mates after an earlier altercation in a Halifax nightspot.

The CCTV footage showed Mr Thompson walking across Silver Street shortly before 5am on June 15 and Siddique accelerating in the Audi before swerving into his victim.

Prosecutor Alisha Kaye described how Mr Thompson fell backwards onto the car bonnet before hitting the windscreen and being thrown into the doorway of a shop.

As the Audi, which belonged to one of Siddique’s friends, was driven off at speed members of the public rushed to the aid of Mr Thompson who was left unconscious on the ground.

The registration number of the Audi was passed on to police officers in the area and Siddique, of Girlington Road, Bradford, was arrested within hours after the incident.

But the court heard that the 22-year-old father-of-one declined to answer police questions in interview and he had to be identified as the driver through CCTV footage which helped officers to seize the clothing he was wearing and a gold chain.

Last month Siddique pleaded guilty to a charge of causing grievous bodily harm with intent and it emerged today that at the time of the incident the defendant was already on court bail for an offence of drink-driving committed in April last year.

Miss Kaye summarised a victim impact statement provided by Mr Thompson in which he described how he had suffered anxiety and intense sleeplessness after the collision and had also had a problem with remembering names.

Although he was discharged from hospital after a couple of days he was off work for six weeks and even now he still still suffers from some loss of hearing.

Barrister Shufqat Khan, for Siddique, said although the impact had been horrific it was fortunate that Mr Thompson had not been more seriously injured.

Mr Khan said as the Audi drove towards Mr Thompson others in the car with Siddique had been shouting:”There he is, there he is.”

Mr Khan said it was in those moments that his client made the biggest mistake of his life and did what he did out of anger and a loss of control.

Jailing Siddique for 56 months and banning him from driving for five years Judge Rose said he had been driving around in the car “seeking revenge”.

Judge Rose said the deliberate decision by Siddique to swerve and accelerate towards Mr Thompson indicated an intention to cause more serious injury than was in fact caused.

“This was a dreadful, dreadful incident,” he told Siddique.

“It is nothing short of a miracle that he survived this at all.”

Judge Rose said Siddique would be released from prison in due course and he hoped that Mr Thompson would be released from the effects of the injuries he suffered.