Halifax brothers attacked rivals in the street

Calderdale Magistrates Court - Shazad Ibrar
Calderdale Magistrates Court - Shazad Ibrar

Two Halifax brothers are due to be sentenced later this month after a man had his face slashed during a street attack last summer.

The attack on Bilal Ahmed last July was alleged to have been one of a number of incidents caused by escalating tensions between two rival sets of brothers.

At the start of a Bradford Crown Court trial prosecutor Patrick Palmer told a jury that 19-year-old Akaash Ibrar had slashed Mr Ahmed across the face during a confrontation between the rival brothers in Hopwood Lane.

Akaash Ibrar had already pleaded guilty to a charge of wounding with intent to do grievous bodily harm to Mr Ahmed and his 27-year-old brother Shazad Ibrar was also found guilty of the same offence by the jury.

Mr Palmer said that Akaash reached into the boot of a Silver S-Type Jaguar and retrieved a curved knife 
and gave an iron bar to his brother.

The court heard that Shazad “picked up and slammed Ibral (Ali, Bilal’s brother) to the floor like a wrestler” before beating him with the iron bar, and that Akaash “slashed Bilal across the face.”

Upon his arrest on August 1 Akaash was found to be in possession of a Stanley knife.

Jurors were shown CCTV and mobile phone video footage of the assault.

Akaash Ibrar was found not guilty of a separate wounding with intent allegation which related to an attack on Shakeel Rehman the day before Mr Ahmed was injured.

The prosecution had alleged that the teenager caused head injuries to Mr Rehman by attacking him with a set of garden pruners, but after deliberating for four-and-a-half hours the jury cleared Akaash Ibrar on that charge.

The jury convicted Akaash Ibrar on a charge of unlawfully having a Stanley knife in his possession on August 1 last year, but they returned a not guilty verdict in respect of a further assault allegation against him relating to an attack on Ansar Ali.

The Ibrar brothers, of Paddock Lane, Halifax, had both admitted an offence of affray and Shazad Ibrar also pleaded guilty to assaulting Ibrar Ali. The brothers, who are both in custody, are due to be sentenced on February 25.