Man jailed for ‘sickening’ attack on man on stag do

David Bourke, jailed for 30 months.
David Bourke, jailed for 30 months.

A 46-year-old engineer has been jailed for “sickening” street attack which left a young man on a stag do lying in a pool of blood.

David Bourke, 46, of Old Lee Bank, Lee Mount, Halifax, was cleared by a jury of causing grievous bodily harm with intent to the groom-to-be Gavin Morrison during the same incident 15 months ago, but he was convicted following a trial of punching and kicking his younger brother Adam.

Bradford Crown Court heard how the brothers had been out celebrating Gavin’s forthcoming wedding and ended up trying to get a taxi in Regent Street, Halifax.

When Bourke’s white van stopped at the junction Adam Morrison opened the passenger door mistaking it for a taxi and the defendant told him to get out.

Sentencing Bourke to 30 months in prison for assaulting Adam Morrison Judge Robert Bartfield said he had been sufficiently angered by the attempt to get into his vehicle that he got out and attacked the complainant.

“You are self-evidently a man of some physical prowess because you flung three strong punches at him one after the other and you put him straight to the ground,” he judge told Bourke.

“The man was inert, incapable of defending himself and you kicked him in the head at least three times.”

Judge Bartfield said a witness had described the attack as “sickening”. He said Bourke had told “a pack of lies” to the jury about his assault on Adam Morrison and the attack on him was a serious one which could have killed him.

The court heard that Adam Morrison, who suffered various injuries to his face, was left lying in a pool of blood.

His brother Gavin suffered a serious head injury during the incident in June last year, but Bourke was cleared by the jury on a charge of causing him GBH with intent and an alternative allegation of unlawful wounding.

As a result of the head injury Gavin Morrison was admitted to hospital and suffered a fractured skull.

Prosecutor Sam Andrews told the jury that Gavin Morrison was unconscious for a week and spent about four weeks in hospital.

The prosecution had alleged that Bourke also attacked Gavin Morrison, but when he was questioned by police the defendant said he had pushed him backwards and he fell over.

Bourke told the officers that he had not punched or kicked Gavin Morrison.

Barrister Simeon Evans, for Bourke, said he had turned his life around since receiving a 12-year prison sentence in 1995 for serious sexual offences.

Mr Evans said Bourke would lose his employment as a result of the prison sentence..