Police in high-speed chase with motorist

Police pursuit: The driver was chased along Ovenden Road,  Halifax
Police pursuit: The driver was chased along Ovenden Road, Halifax

An uninsured driver recklessly drove his car at speeds in excess of 70mph on 30mph roads while police chased him.

Daniel Gray, 22, was in his car with his girlfriend when he passed an unmarked police car that began to follow him just after midnight on April 14, 2013.

Gray, of Mixenden Court, Halifax, was subject to a community order for previous offending as he sped through red lights during the terrifying chase down Pellon Lane and on to Ovenden Way.

While driving at 70mph on 40mph Ovenden Way, Gray overtook eight vehicles before switching to the wrong side of the carriageway and causing other drivers to swerve to avoid him.

He turned on to a single track road maintaining a speed of around 50mph when officers thought it was safe to try and end the chase.

They moved their vehicle alongside but as they did so Gray swerved towards them.

Soon after he finally stopped and told officers he stopped because “he thought he might kill himself”.

Paul Manning, mitigating, said: “It is fair to say the driving was far below the standards of a reasonable driver and I fully acknowledge that. There is a real risk of Mr Gray going to custody.

“This was an isolated incident and he was so fortunate.”

Mr Manning told the court that the pre-sentence report showed Gray was making positive steps towards changing his ways and that he had found alternative accommodation away from his associates in the area.

Gray pleaded guilty to charges of dangerous driving, driving without a licence and driving without insurance.

Judge Jonathan Durham Hall said: “You have a bad record. You have been an absolute pain to your community and members of it.

“I accept that you panicked. I accept that you frightened yourself. I accept you stopped but you put your girlfriend’s life on the line, the lives of the police officers who had to chase you and any of those poor unsuspecting motorists on the road at the time.”

Judge Durham Hall accepted that the pre-sentence report showed positive signs for Gray and handed him a nine-month sentence suspended for 12 months. He was made subject to a 12 month supervision order and will have to carry out 150 hours unpaid work.

He was also disqualified from holding a driving licence for two years.

The judge said: “If you commit another offence of any sort I will lock you up. I will not forget you and this case will be reserved to me if you breach it.”