Prison for the thug who punched partner in face

A THUG who beat his girlfriend has been jailed for six months.

Jason Calligan, 27, attacked the woman on two occasions in September and October this year.

Calderdale Magistrates Court heard how his victim’s acrylic fingernails were torn off in one of the assaults leaving her with blood pouring from her fingers.

The first attack took place on August 18 at Battinson Street, Southowram.

Calligan went to see the woman, with whom he is no longer in a relationship, at the home of one of her friends.

As she opened the door Calligan punched her in the face and dragged her out of the house by her hair.

He pulled her to the ground tearing her fake nails off and leaving her with bruises to her legs and body.

Calderdale Magistrates Court heard that the couple had been in an on-off relationship for three years.

Then on September 17 Calligan had been staying at his victim’s house on Sandhall Lane, Halifax.

The pair had spent the previous evening together with Calligan’s three young children and the woman’s five-year-old son who were also in the property.

At 5am a dog barking woke the couple and Calligan appeared to become aggravated as his partner got out of bed.

Calligan ordered her to get back into bed and noticed she had her mobile phone in her hand.

He tried to grab it but she wouldn’t let him.

Then he hit her with an open palm to the right hand side of her face. She was left with cuts and swelling to both her lips.

The court heard that Calligan told her “you better shut up because if my kids hear us arguing I’m going to smash your head in”.

Calligan pleaded guilty to two charges of assault by beating.

Malcolm Nowell, defending, told the court there had been a previous restraining order in place but as soon as it expired the couple got back together.

He said: “Their relationship was highly volatile. It’s a case that they can’t live with each other but can’t live without each other.”

Magistrates sentenced Calligan to six months in prison.

He was also made the subject of a restraining order banning him from contacting the woman for 24 months.

He could face five years in prison if it is breached.