Rapist’s evil rant at victim’s family home

A convicted rapist was back behind bars today after a ‘’drunken rant’’ outside the Halifax home of his victim’s family.

After being released from prison, the 27-year-old man returned to live in the same street as the victim’s parents and a panic alarm was fitted in their home.

But a court heard that only a week after being let out, the defendant – who cannot be named to protect the victim’s identity – began shouting a torrent of abuse outside the house in the early hours. Prosecutor John-Paul Swoboda said the alarm had been provided by the police because of the family’s fear and it was used that night.

The man, who had been given a seven-year sentence for rape when he was just 16, threatened to kill his victim’s father, break his legs and burn the house down.

The court heard that while in custody for the rape matter the defendant had received additional time in jail for assaulting a prison officer and setting fire to his cell in an attempt on his own life. In total he spent nearly 10 years in custody, but because he served all his sentence he was not on licence at the time of his release.

The drunken defendant was arrested by police and later admitted he had also taken heroin.

The defendant admitted affray but charges of making threats to kill and destroy property were not pursued by the prosecution. Barrister Stephen Wood, for the defendant, said it was a drunken rant but conceded the seriousness was increased because of the context of the offence.

Jailing the defendant for two years, Judge Jonathan Durham Hall QC said he gone to the house out of anger and was seen ‘’ranting and raving like a lunatic’’.

‘’You were shouting all sorts of wicked and evil things.’’

The maximum sentence for affray is three years, but the judge reduced it to two years because of the defendant’s guilty plea.

In addition the judge imposed an indefinite restraining order aimed at keeping the defendant away from the family.

He told the man that if he breached that order he could be jailed again for up to five years.

‘’My instinct is this has now been put away for keeps but if you do anything serious again to this family or anybody else you may end up with an indeterminate sentence,’’ he warned the defendant.