Raving man punched stranger in the face

A MAN with a “violent and aggressive streak” has been jailed for 45 months.

Joel Liburd, 30, fractured an innocent woman’s jaw during a street attack in Halifax a few months before he was involved in a disturbance outside a house in Crosland Moor, Huddersfield, when a gun was fired.

Bradford Crown Court heard in March Liburd was caught on CCTV marching along Crown Street in Halifax after leaving the Acapulco nightclub in an agitated state.

At one stage he took off his t-shirt and threw it to the ground.

Prosecutor David McGonigal said for no apparent reason Liburd then walked over to Michelle Byrne and two male friends as they walked by, minding their own business.

Liburd punched one of the men to the ground before hitting Miss Byrne in the face. He then left the area in a taxi, but police were called and arrested Liburd in the cab. The court heard Miss Byrne suffered a fracture of the jaw and had to eat a “soft diet” for six weeks.

Mr McGonigal revealed that Liburd, of Walpole Road, Crosland Moor, had previous convictions for violence.

Liburd claimed to have been assaulted in the Halifax nightclub and Judge Jonathan Rose said something had “flicked the switch” that turned him into a raving man.

Regarding the gun incident, Christopher Boltwood, 27, of Honley, Huddersfield, was later cleared by a jury of possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life, but both he and Liburd were sentenced at Bradford Crown Court for possessing offensive weapons.

The court heard there had been bad feeling between the two men and after allegedly being shot at Liburd returned to the scene outside the home of Boltwood’s parents after arming himself with a serrated Rambo-style knife.

Boltwood was given a six-month prison sentence for his involvement, but it was suspended for two years and Judge Jonathan Rose also ordered him to do 80 hours of unpaid work for the community.

Judge Rose told Liburd his record demonstrated that he had an aggressive and violent streak that runs through his core.

The judge said Liburd had armed himself with a significant and substantial knife during the incident in Huddersfield in May and had gone back to the scene looking for Boltwood.

Liburd was sentenced to 27 months in jail after he pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm to Miss Byrne with an additonal 18 months for possessing the knife.