Schoolboy stabbed in back with screwdriver

editorial image

A Halifax schoolboy was stabbed in the back with a screwdriver during a street confrontation with a group of men.

The 15-year-old, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, suffered a collapsed lung after allegedly being stabbed by Anees Asghar during the disturbance which took place in the Mile Cross Road area back in January 2012.

Asghar, 25, of Gibraltar Road, Halifax, has denied unlawfully wounding the teenager with intent to do him grievous bodily harm and a further allegation of affray.

Asghar’s brothers Nafees, 23, and 29-year-old Ateeq, of the same address, have also pleaded not guilty to the affray charge.

Prosecutor Ken Green told the jury at Bradford Crown Court that Nafees Asghar and a 14-year-old school friend of the injured boy had been exchanging abusive texts on the day of the alleged attack.

Mr Green alleged that the two friends and two other schoolboys had been walking in the Mile Cross Road area when they heard an angry Nafees Asghar shouting and swearing.

“It is the prosecution’s case that Nafees Asghar then punched (the 14-year-old) a number of times to the face and Nafees was joined in the attack on (the boy) by his two brothers,” said Mr Green.

Mr Green said the 15-year-old schoolboy then got involved and tried to protect his friend, but he was then threatened and pursued by Anees Asghar who allegedly had a cross-head screwdriver in his hand.

The court heard that one of the other schoolboys claimed to have seen Anees Asghar striking the 15-year-old boy’s back several times.

Mr Green said the 15-year-old recalled feeling something pierce his skin at the back of his left shoulder.

The Asghar brothers then left the scene and the injured 15-year-old was taken to hospital where the ‘X’ shaped wound was found to have caused a punctured lung.

The brothers were arrested from their home and Anees Asghar made no comment in reply to the questions he was asked.

His brother Nafees claimed that the 14-year-old boy had been abusive and was taunting him for a fight.

He said he had only hit the boy once and suggested that it was in self defence because he saw him ‘’fiddling’’ with something in his pocket.

Ateeq Asghar told police his brother Nafees had stormed out of the house and he had followed him to try and calm him down.

“The prosecution say whatever the background in this case between (the 14-year-old) and Nafees Asghar it does not justify an attack by three adults, grown men, upon four young schoolboys in the street,” submitted Mr Green.

“The prosecution do not accept that Nafees Asghar or any of his brothers were acting in self defence.”

The trial is expected to last into next week.