Stiletto attack outside Halifax nightclub leaves girl with a scarred face

editorial image

A DRUNKEN woman used her stiletto heel to attack another clubber in a fight outside a Halifax nightspot.

A court heard that Rozzina Austin’s victim, Chelsea Germain, had been left with permanent scarring to her face as a result of the attack outside The Tube nightclub last September.

The complainant needed 10 stitches after suffering a cut near her right eye and another wound on her left cheek.

Prosecutor Andrew Stranex told the court that Chelsea was trying to get Austin away from her mother.

Austin, who had taken her shoes off earlier because they were hurting, struck out and hit her at least twice in the face.

After her arrest, Austin, 21, claimed Chelsea had assaulted her first, but when she appeared at Bradford Crown Court she admitted unlawful wounding. Mr Stranex confirmed the wounds had resulted in visible scarring to the victim’s face.

Judge Peter Benson told Austin, of Range Court, Boothtown, Halifax, that her use of drugs and particularly alcohol were triggers to her offending.

“In this instance you behaved in a wholly unacceptable way,’’ said Judge Benson.

“An altercation started which flared up into violence and during the course of that violence you attacked the complainant with the heel of your shoe.

“It was a stiletto heel and you caused some very unpleasant cuts to her face the scars of which are still visible.

‘’Ten months down the line she still bears the marks that you inflicted upon her in your drunken rage.’’

The judge said he had thought that he must send Austin to prison immediately but after hearing she had been engaging positively with a community order he had decided to suspend the jail term.

The judge sentenced Austin to nine months in prison, suspended for two years, but also ordered her to do 79 hours of unpaid work and complete a thinking skills programme.

She will also be supervised by the probation service for a year and will be subject to a night-time electronically-monitored curfew at her home for the next three months.

Although Judge Benson said he would dearly love to make a compensation order against Austin, he was unable to do so because of her limited means.