Teenage trio in court for sex offences

editorial image

Three teenagers who avoided being locked up for a wicked attack on a vulnerable young girl have appeared back in court.

The trio, who cannot be named for legal reasons, were sentenced by a judge in June after they were found guilty by a jury of sexually assaulting their 13-year-old victim in a Queensbury field.

Bradford Crown Court heard during the case how the youngster had been stripped and defiled by the defendants as she lay comatose after downing most of a bottle of neat vodka.

Her abusers, a girl aged 14 and a boy and girl aged 15, laughed as they photographed the teenager on their phones and the 15-year-old girl also distributed some of the images to another boy.

The trio were all given 12-month rehabilitation orders by Judge David Hatton QC with additional requirements such as supervision and three-month overnight home curfews.

The teenagers were all back before the same judge after being accused of breaching the terms of their orders.

It is understood that most of the allegations relate to breaching their overnight curfews.

Judge Hatton was told that all the defendants denied the breaches and he said there would have to be a further hearing before him when the evidence would be put forward.

The judge said he would have to determine whether the breaches had taken place and he ordered the prosecution to serve the evidence they relied on by September 20.

Judge Hatton told all three defendants that they would have to return to Bradford Crown Court for the next hearing on October 4.

During the teenagers’ sentencing hearing in June the judge said: “It is a very sad and sorry sight indeed: three very young people before the Crown Court to be sentenced for these matters.”

The judge said the three, who were 13 and 14 at the time, “callously and cruelly” took advantage of the girl for what they believed was amusement.

All three teenagers had found the trial “a sobering and terrifying experience,” the judge said.

The court heard that the offences had been committed 18 months previously and the teenagers had all matured and reflected on what they had done to their victim.