Three men face jail for drug smuggling

editorial image

Three Halifax men are facing long prison sentences next month for their part in a professional and well-organised heroin smuggling operation.

A jury at Bradford Crown Court today (MON) found 30-year-old Babar Khan, of Blackwood Grove, guilty of being part of the conspiracy to smuggle drug consignments from Pakistan through Hearthrow Airport and he will now be sentenced alongside two co-accused in the last week of March.

Before Khan went on trial two other Halifax men 36-year-old Tasadaq Hussain, of Bowman Terrace, and 28-year-old Imran Muhammed Ali, of Dyson Road, pleaded guilty to the same charge of conspiracy to import heroin.

It is understood that the prosecution will tell Judge Jonathan Rose next month that the trio played important roles as the recipients of the heroin or at least the provider of a ‘’safe address’’ where the drugs could be delivered after being smuggled into the United Kingdom.

The convictions follow an investigation by the United Kingdom Border Agency into the importation of significant quantities of high purity heroin via Heathrow Airport. The investigation began in April 2012 after UKBA officers at Heathrow intercepted a crate which contained 59 kilograms of ‘’handicrafts’’ and was due to be delivered to a ‘’Babar Ahmad’’ at Blackwood Grove, Pellon Lane, Halifax.

The crate was examined and heroin was found concealed in the hollowed out wooden struts of the container.

The crate was found to contain 1.73 kilograms of the drug at a purity of 51%.

Once cut to the average street level deal the heroin consignment would have been worth a potential £441,000.

Enquiries revealed that the only male living at the address was Babar Khan and on May 21, 2012 UKBA officer attended at the house and arrested Khan.

The inquiry by UKBA officers revealed that four ‘’similar consignments’’ had also been delivered to other addresses in Halifax between November 2011 and April 2012.

After Khan was found guilty Judge Rose told him the only outcome was a very substantial prison sentence and he remanded Khan in custody until his sentence hearing.