Young mans’s teaching dream ends with brawl in the street

A 26-year-old man’s hopes of becoming a teacher have “gone up in smoke” after he became involved in a street disturbance in Halifax last year.

Imran Ali, of Dyson Road, Halifax, was one of three men given 12-month community sentences for their part in the incident on Southgate last November, but his barrister Stephen Wood said the the tragedy of the case was the life-long impact on his client.

Mr Wood said Ali had previously been a man of positive good character who had been volunteering in local schools.

“His life-long ambition will have gone up in smoke as a result of his conviction for this offence,” said Mr Wood.

“Whilst any sentence will have a relatively short term effect on his immediate future the behaviour he has now accepted was wrong is going to have a life-long impact upon him and, I submit, that is a very, very significant punishment for him indeed.”

Ali together with 26-year-old Ghulam Maqbool, of Highfield Terrace, King Cross, Halifax, and Scott Dunn, 32, of Windy Grove, Wilsden, Bradford, all admitted a charge of affray.

Each of them will have to do 180 hours unpaid work for the community as part of their community orders.

Bradford Crown Court heard that all three men were seen attacking a man in a doorway by a police officer who had been attending an unrelated incident nearby.

Prosecutor Jayne Beckett said it was now known what had started the violence, but Judge Colin Burn was handed a statement from door supervisor which suggested that another group of people had been intent on causing trouble.

The court heard that Dunn had been attacked earlier and his two friends had then got involved to assist him.

During the late-night disturbance Maqbool was also said to have been hit over the head with a bottle causing a cut.

Mrs Beckett said the man who was being attacked in the doorway refused to make a complaint to the police after the incident and he had never been identified.

She said the man was bleeding from his nose and was clearly drunk.

Mr Wood said it had not been a case of the defendants going out looking for trouble.

“As a group they went too far and that is why they have pleaded guilty to affray.”