Devastated family pray every night for three-year-old boy who died after being hit by a car

editorial image

A GRIEF-STRICKEN father whose son was killed when he was hit by a car says he prays every night for the little boy who was his world.

Three-year-old Muhammed Bilal died after being hit by a Vauxhall Astra near his home on Violet Street, off Hanson Lane in Halifax, in September last year.

An inquest held today heard the driver of the Astra, Mohammed Rashad, say he did not see the little boy and stopped because he saw Bilal’s mum and aunt running towards him.

“I was driving along and it started raining and suddenly I realised there were some people coming running out and saying ‘someone is under your car’,” he said.

“It happened so quickly. I didn’t see him. If I had seen him, I would have stopped, I would have done something.”

Mr Rashad, a taxi driver who had been on his way back from visiting family, had stopped on a speed bump. He then reversed over Bilal trying to move his car so he could be helped.

“I tried to get him out,” he said. “People were saying ‘please move the car’. I panicked I tried to get him out but I couldn’t so I reversed.”

Afhsan Ali, who lives on the street, said she went out after hearing “a thud” and people shouting.

“The driver looked panicked and I could see Biall’s mum on the floor,” she said.

“I could hear Bilal’s aunt and mum shouting for him to move his car. I turned round and saw the car reverse and then I saw Bilal.”

Neighbours took Bilal to Calderdale Royal Hospital in their car but he could not be saved.

A post mortem concluded that he died from head injuries.

Principal collision investigator for West Yorkshire Police Steve Green told the inquest the speed limit on Violet Street is 20mph. He said: “There is no physical evidence to determine the speed of the Vauxhall Astra. However the lack of damage to the vehicle is consistent and would not suggest excessive speed.”

Deputy Coroner Professor Paul Marks said he was satisfied that the Astra was not speeding and that neither Bilal or the driver would have seen each other.

He also said it would have been a natural instinct for Bilal’s family and the Astra driver to try to free the little boy.

He recorded a verdict of accidental death. “This was a tragic accident for which no person is to blame,” he said.

Bilal’s dad Muhammed Mustafa said he and his family are heartbroken by Bilal’s death.

“Our world will never be the same ever again,” he said.

“He was my world. I pray for him every night for him to have happiness.”