Deadline to change allocated school

PARENTS have until March 15 to appeal against their child’s allocation of secondary school.

They can also request their child’s name is included within a reallocation list for places which become available.

Figures show 84 per cent of pupils were allocated their first choice.

An independent appeal panel has the authority to admit a pupil above the published admission number of a school.

The local authority is responsible for arranging appeals for community schools, and the governing body for foundation and voluntary aided comprehensive schools and academies.

Appeals for grammar schools have to be sent to Governor Support Ltd, in Nelson, Lancashire.

In December 756 children sat the entrance exam chasing a total of 310 places. In 2010, 770 sat the exam and 761 in 2009.