Elderly man taken to hospital after house fire

editorial image

An 87-year-old man had to be taken to hospital after a gas fire at his house in Halifax.

The incident, from which the man suffered burns to his head, hair and hands, from a flash fire at an address on Gleanings Avenue around 12.38pm yesterday (Friday).

The fire was caused by newspaper being accidentally left near a hob that was leaking gas. The property suffered severe damage and a gas metre was destroyed.

Two crews from Halifax attended and firefighters used breathing apparatus. They were there for around two hours.

The elderly man was taken to Calderdale Royal Hospital, but has since been released.

For a free home safety check and free smoke alarms call 0800 5874536.