`

Elderly man taken to hospital after house fire in Calderdale

Wentworth Drive, Illingworth. Photo: Google
Wentworth Drive, Illingworth. Photo: Google

AN ELDERLY man had to be taken to hospital after suffering smoke inhalation in a house fire in Calderdale.

The fire broke out in the kitchen of a home in Wentworth Drive, Illingworth, shortly before 11pm yesterday (August 3).

Firefighters gave the man first aid before he was taken to hospital by ambulance.

Crews from Illingworth and Halifax, some wearing breathing apparatus, tackled the blaze using a hose reel before ventilating the property.

Also in the news: Murder suspect who calls himself 'Madman' could be in Yorkshire, detectives reveal

Pedestrian seriously injured by falling traffic light in Bradford city centre

CCTV appeal over spate of motorbike thefts in York

A spokesperson for the fire service said there had been no smoke detectors inside the home.