Family of six escape Halifax house fire

editorial image

Four children and two adults had to flee their burning Halifax home this morning (Monday).

The fire, which was caused by a candle being left unattended overnight, started in the bathroom of a property on Gibraltar Avenue.

As there was no smoke detectors in the house the occupants were only made aware of the fire when smoke spread through the upstairs of the property and into the bedrooms.

All six members of the family managed to escape the house and were taken to hospital suffering smoke inhalation. The father also had burns to his hand.

Crews from Halifax and Illingworth attended the incident and used a hose reel and two breathing apparatus to extinguish the fire. They left the scene at around 4am.

The bathroom of the property was completely destroyed and there was smoke damage to the whole of the top floor.

To book a free Home Fire Safety Check call 0800 5874536 or visit www.westyorksfire.gov.uk