Fire crews attend care home fire

editorial image

Crews attended a fire in a care home on Monday.

Firefighters from Halifax and Elland were called to the incident at Savile Park Residential Care Home, Mellor Street, Halifax at 5.26pm.

The alarm was raised after a radiator caused sheets of paper to set alight in a resident’s room.

The resident was not in the room at the time.

After returning to the room and discovering what had happened, the resident closed the door to stop the smoke spreading any further.

Firefighters were alerted to the incident via the fire alarm in the room.

The fire had extinguished by itself by the time crews arrived.

Fire crews used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the room of smoke.

Residents were moved to another part of the building while crews carried out their work. A spokesperson for the home said firefighters praised staff for how quickly and effectively they reacted.

Firefighters left the scene at approximately 6pm.