Firefighters rushed to flat blaze in Halifax

editorial image

Firefighters rushed to a fire started by a tumble dryer this afternoon (Wednesday) – but the blaze had been extinguished before they arrived.

The Halifax crew resonded to a call at 2.20pm about a flat fire in Hopwood Lane.

When the team arrived, they could see that residents of the building, which contains flats over three floors, were gathered outside.

Watch commander Adrian Bairstow was approached by a young male, who told him he discovered the fire after smelling smoke coming from the back of his tumble dryer.

The man had unplugged the machine and extinguished the burning part of it with water.

The tumble dryer was removed from the building and the flat aired out with a pressure fan.

Mr Bairstow said: “My advice if people discover a fire is to make everyone aware and for them to make their way out.

“Having working smoke alarms is paramount because it makes you aware that there might be something untwoward in your house or building – but it also makes other people aware so they can make their way out.”

He wished to remind the public that members of the fire service can come out to install fire alarms and give fire safety talks.