Caring mum-of-three died aged 48

Andrea Mann
Andrea Mann
Share this article

TRIBUTES have been paid to a former vicar’s wife who put everybody before herself.

Mum-of-three Andrea Mann (nee Murphy) died aged 48 after battling coeliac disease along with other associated complications.

And, her family said she had never fully recovered from the death in 2005 of her childhood sweetheart and husband the Rev Gary Mann, who died aged 41.

They met aged 11 when they lived just three doors apart in Holmfield, Halifax, and married in 1986.

Her first job was on the switchboard at Crossley Carpets, Halifax.

The couple moved to Lincoln where Rev Mann, a former Nat West Bank worker, trained for the ministry.

They then spent three years in Knottingley, where he was a curate, before returning to Calderdale in 1993 when he was appointed Vicar of St John’s Church, Clifton, Brighouse.

He became Vicar of St Stephen’s Church, Lindley, in 1997.

Andrea returned to work as a personal assistant and spent about 18 years at what is now the Lloyds Banking Group, Halifax.

The couple had three children, Nathan, now 24, Matthew, 21, and Belinda, 19.

Andrea also leaves her parents Luke and Sheila Murphy, a sister Denise, brothers Ian and Paul, and in-laws Roy and Val Mann.

Her family was at her bedside when she died at the Huddersfield Royal Infirmary.

She was last year diagnosed with coeliac disease which is an auto-immune disease which causes problems in the stomach and other parts of the body.

Since January her condition deteriorated and she spent several months in hospital.

Her funeral was held last Friday at a packed St John’s Church, Bradshaw, Halifax, and her family asked for donations to Kirkwood Hospice, Huddersfield.

“She was never able to move on since dad died,” said Nathan, of Siddal.

“And, she always said if she ever had money she would give it to Kirkwood Hospice because staff there were so good to dad.”

Mrs Murphy described her daughter as a “mother hen” and said her main interest was her family and Mr Murphy said Andrea was loved by everybody and cared for others first.

“Nothing was too much trouble for her and everybody came before Andrea did,” he said.

The family have been touched by the support from hospital staff, friends and relatives.

Her work colleagues said Andrea was a small person who had left a big hole to fill.

Matthew has his own place and Belinda will move in with Nathan until she goes to university in September.

“The family will stick together and move on together,” said Nathan.

Andrea, of Huddersfield, had been planning to move back to Halifax.

“We had found a house but it was not to be,” said Mrs Murphy.

“We are all left devastated.”