A hotel bungalow in Corfu where two British children died of carbon monoxide poisoning during a holiday in 2006 will be demolished later this year, according to reports.
Bobby and Christi Shepherd, aged six and seven, from Horbury, near Wakefield, West Yorkshire, died when they were overcome by fumes from a faulty boiler.
An inquest jury last week ruled that the children had been unlawfully killed and concluded that travel firm Thomas Cook breached its duty of care to the family.
Their parents, Sharon Wood and Neil Shepherd, had asked for the site to be destroyed and turned into a playground.
Maria Pittordis, a lawyer for the group that owns the Hotel Louis Corcyra Beach, said the bungalow where they died will be knocked down at the end of the summer season.
Ms Pittordis told Sky News: “I can confirm that now that all proceedings including the inquest are over my clients have decided to demolish the bungalow. This will be done after the hotel operations have ended for the season.”
Peter Fankhauser, chief executive of Thomas Cook, this week admitted the travel giant failed in its handling of the tragedy and pledged to help the children’s parents move on with their lives.
Mr Fankhauser said that delaying an apology to the children’s parents had been his “my biggest mistake”.
“We should have done that honestly during the last nine years, and I should have done that when I took over in November 2014,” he said.
Mrs Wood and Mr Shepherd were offered a “financial gesture of goodwill” after meeting with Mr Fankhauser on Thursday.
It also emerged this week that two men convicted over the deaths had returned to work in the industry, in what the family described as the “latest blow”.
A spokesman for Thomas Cook said yesterday that both men - an electrician found responsible for the children’s deaths and the hotel manager who was convicted of negligent manslaughter in connection with the tragedy - have now been dismissed from their posts.