AN RAF crew airlifted a two-ton piece of stone from Rastrick to turn it into a war memorial.
Steve Rand, owner of Rand and Asquith Quarry, Lower Edge, donated the stone for 78 Squadron to make a memorial to seven crew who died while flying a Halifax bomber.
The stone was winched under a Merlin helicopter and taken to Dishforth, before being transferred to a lorry for its onward journey to the squadron base at RAF Benson, Oxfordshire.
In 1944 a crew were on their way back to Yorkshire after a successful attack in Aachen, Germany – Halifax’s twin town – when the bomber and its were shot down.
Five of the crew sank 30-ft into a marsh where they remained buried for more than 60 years.
More than £250,000 had to be raised to retrieve their bodies but they were finally reburied in September 2006.
Last October, the current crew were invited to the Netherlands to lay a wreath in their memory.
Wing Commander Dan Startup wanted to build a fitting tribute using a propeller retrieved from the marsh and presented to the crew on their visit to Holland.
He contacted Mr Rand who will proudly watch at the official unveiling next month.