Inquiry will make final ruling on skip hire incinerator plan in Halifax

Caldery Valley Skip Hire have appealed against the decision for its incinerator plan
Caldery Valley Skip Hire have appealed against the decision for its incinerator plan

A public inquiry will decide whether a skip hire company will be allowed to incinerate waste at one of its sites.

Calder Valley Skip Hire was refused permission by Calderdale Council’s Planning Committee to use an incinerator at its Belmont Works site at Rochdale Road, Triangle, last December.

READ: Here's how to get FREE BEER in Halifax

The council has now confirmed that an appeal against the decision, and also another refused application to vary conditions of use at the site, has been made by the company to the Planning Inspectorate and the inquiry process is now in motion.

READ: Everything you need to know about Gentleman Jack in new book ahead of Sally Wainwright TV series
Calderdale Council’s Corporate Lead for Planning, Richard Seaman, said: “We have now received a letter from the Planning Inspectorate confirming that Calder Valley Skip Hire has appealed to the Secretary of State against refusal of two planning applications which were turned down by the council in December last year.

“Both applications related to a proposed incinerator at Belmont Works near Sowerby Bridge.

“The appeal will take the format of a Public Inquiry.

“The date of this inquiry has not yet been confirmed, but all documents will be uploaded to the council’s planning pages as and when they are available.

“All previous letters of support or objection received about the application will be passed on to the Planning Inspectorate and will be considered by the Inspector who decides the appeal."

READ: Stepmother of Cherie Blair resigns from Labour party amid bullying claims

The main application last year attracted opposition from all parties, MPs Holly Lynch (Labour, Halifax) and Craig Whittaker (Conservative, Calder Valley), petitions and more than 1,000 responses from members of the public overwhelmingly opposing the plans raising concerns about resultant air quality and other matters.

Councillors refused the proposal saying the applicant had failed to demonstrate that the proposed incineration process would acceptably mitigate emissions of pollntants to the atmosphere and “furthermore the polluting emissions will materially reduce air quality in the vicinity of the site and be harmful to human health”, contrary to two of the council’s policies in its Replacement Unitary Development Plan.

READ: Foundation is a fitting legacy by Naomi’s devoted parents
The company contended a construction emission management plan would deliver high level of control through the build process and the application had addressed issues of water and air quality, flood risk, noise and vibration. The company contended it was a family owned business, the proposal would be small scale incinerating waste that would otherwise be sent to landfill.

The Planning Inspectorate says the inquiry, for which a date is yet to be set, is likely to be at least three days.

Although comments made at the application stage will be submitted any additional ones should be made by submitting three copies of their letter to the Planning Inspectorate by August 28.

Last month the council refused an application for an Environmental Permit for an incinerator plant at the company’s other Sowerby Bridge site in Mearclough Road.