Lit cigarettes cause attic fire

Latest news...
Latest news...

Firefighters have extinguished a small blaze at a Halifax property this afternoon.

Crews from Halifax and Illingworth were called to the house, on Highfield Terrace, at around 4.30pm.

The fire is believed to have been caused by cigarettes which had not been properly stubbed out in the home’s attic bedroom, where the flames were contained and then put out.

The two adults present in the house at the time managed to leave the house safely before calling the emergency services.

Watch Commander Adrian Bairstow, from Halifax Station said: “We would urge people not to smoke in their own bedrooms, as there is always a chance you may fall asleep and cause a fire.

“If you do smoke in your bedroom, make sure you have a dedicated ashtray and the cigarette is extinguished.”