Man attacked teen with pepper spray

editorial image

A man attacked an 18-year-old girl with pepper spray on a Halifax street, a court heard.

Javid Ali, 36, of Thomas Street, Halifax, approached a “terrified” Francesca Horne near the Acapulco Nightclub, Waterhouse Street, last August and sprayed pepper spray all over her face.

Miss Horne was walking towards the nightclub by herself after she was seperated from friends around midnight when she saw a silver Toyota Yaris with Ali and another passenger in.

The car pulled up to Miss Horne and Ali asked if she was alright. Miss Horne said in her victim impact statement that she had leant down and told him to “leave me alone”, said Camille Morland, prosecuting.

The court heard that Ali then sprayed her face and eyes with the pepper spray. Miss Horne then stumbled to the nightclub and alerted staff who soaked her face and hands in milk while they waited for emergency services to arrive.

Miss Morland added: “When she was sprayed, her instinct kicked in and all she could think was to move and keep moving.

“She was very scared.”

She was then taken to Calderdale Royal Hopsital and later transferred to a hospital in Bradford and spent days soaking her skin in milk.

Ali, who was breathing heavily with his hand on his chest during the sentencing, was arrested shortly after.

Kate Batty, defending, said that Ali had been suffering with depression at the time and hadn’t got over the death of his mother.

The court heard that Ali had four similar previous convictions from 2001 to 2011.

Judge Peter Benson, when sentencing Ali, said: “You have worrying previous convictions which are similar to some of the details of the present offence.

“The victim was a lone female, you had pepper spray and you sprayed this innocent woman in the face 
with it. She was very scared and had to make her way to the club where was was given medical assistance.

“She suffered not just physically but this has had a traumatic effect on her confidence and life.”

Ali was jailed for nine months for actual bodily harm suspended for two years.

He was also given a 12 month community order which will be supervised for 12 months and must remain at his home address on curfew from 7pm to 6am for the next four months.