A 21-year-old man from Halifax has been jailed for seven and a half years after his speeding car knocked down and killed a schoolboy while he was trying to evade police.
Bradford Crown Court heard Zain Khan, of Savile Park, was driving the vehicle in excess of 84 mph - and 12-year-old Bilal Khizar was hurled more than 50 metres by the impact of the accident as he was crossing the A6177 at Rooley Lane in the city, last October.
Khanhad earlier pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving, dangerous driving and perverting the course of justice.
Sara Hughes, 21, of King Cross Road, Halifax, who was with him in the car, was charged with perverting the course of justice. She was sent to a bail hostel for further assessment after admitting the offence and will return for sentencing on March 7.
Judge Jonathan Durham Hall QC, sentencing, said the case inflamed understandably the hearts and passions of many.
“Nothing I can do can bring back Bilal and no punishment I can impose can satisfy the outrage of the victim’s family,” he said.
He told Khan he accelerated away at enormous speed and Bilal didn’t stand a chance.
Jonathan Sharp, prosecuting, said Bilal, of Bradford, began crossing the road on his scooter.
Khan was driving a Seat Bocanegra car and shortly before the accident on October 6, police indicated he pull over due to concern over his speed.
“Khan stopped in a pull-in on Rooley Lane. However, after a few seconds he pulled out at great speed and the patrol car was unable to keep pace with him,” said Mr Sharp.
The pull-in was 400 yards from the junction near Asda and Khan’s speed was in excess of 84mph, the court heard. If he had driven within the 40 mph speed limit he would have had ample time to see Bilal crossing.
The impact smashed the windscreen, damaged the nearside wing and projected Bilal 54 metres. Khan failed to stop and sped off in the damaged car in an attempt to shake off police.
He hit an Audi A4 by Chain Bar and again sped off on to the A58 Halifax Road swerving across lanes. He reached 106mph on the A58.
The car was abandoned on the A58 at Wyke 5.4 miles from the fatal incident.
Both defendants initally denied the offence claiming the car had been stolen.
Simon Csoka, mitigating for Khan, said Khan apologised for the appalling nature of the act he carried out driving that day and his conduct afterwards.
“Several times a day he can’t escape intrusive thoughts of what happened. The likelihood of him driving again is remote,” said Mr Csoka.
Khan was disqualified from driving for five years.
A statement from Bilal’s family said: “We mourn and weep for Bilal every second of every day and would give anything to have him back.
“No parent, brother or sister should feel the needless pain and suffering we have endured. For the rest of our lives, we will have family occasions, gatherings and celebrations ruined because Bilal is missing and there is an empty chair.
“It is a day to day struggle and these people need to realise how their actions have left this family completely devastated and shattered.
“We are eternally grateful to the special people who were at the scene of this tragedy and stopped to help Bilal. We also want to thank all of the witnesses who came forward with vital information.
“Only with the help of our family, friends and West Yorkshire Police have we been able to get through the many difficult months since Bilal’s death.”
Senior Investigating Officer Detective Superintendent Mark Ridley said: “Khan’s reckless actions whilst behind the wheel took the life of a young boy, devastating a family, a school and a community.
“It highlights to all the potential tragic consequences of driving in a dangerous manner, anywhere on West Yorkshire’s roads. Our thoughts remain with Bilal’s family and I hope this sentence provides them with some closure for what must have been the an extremely emotional and difficult period.”