Man who buried his girlfriend in a box jailed for 20 years

A MAN who Tasered his girlfriend, buried her in a box and left her to die in the woods has been jailed for 20 years in what a judge called a “uniquely chilling case”.

Cruel Marcin Kasprzak, 26, tricked former fiancee Michalina Lewandowska, 27, into thinking they were going on a shopping trip together, but as she stood in the hallway of their home, he shot her twice with a 300,000 volt Taser-style gun and then bound and gagged her with tape.

He forced her into a cardboard box and drove her to a wood on the outskirts of Huddersfield where he buried the box in a shallow grave.

Sitting at Leeds Crown Court today, The Recorder of Leeds, Judge Peter Collier QC said: “The death you intended would have been long and slow.

“It is mind-numbingly awful to imagine the sort of death you intended her to die.

“Fortunately she escaped, her raw determination to survive for the sake of your son is undoubtedly what saved her.”

He added: “I have her victim impact statement and that makes clear that she is suffering and will continue to suffer significant psychological harm.

“I am satisfied that these events will unsettle and prospect of stability for her for years to come.

“Her harm however is only one of the matters I have to take into account in determining seriousness. I must also have regard to the uniquely chilling nature of this case, as I have already observed being buried alive must be one of the most dreadful ways to die that anyone can imagine.

“The attention of the media to this case is an indication to the extent to which it has horrified everyone who has read or heard about it.”

The judge earlier referred to Kasprzak, saying: “He didn’t have the courage to kill her directly.”

Miss Lewandowska, a clothes mender, was left trapped face down, with soil and a 90lb branch on top of the box to stop her escaping, the jury were told during the trial.

Amazingly, she managed to force her way out using the engagement ring Kasprzak had given her.

The pretty mum-of-one, who moved to the UK with Kasprzak from their native Poland five years ago and gave birth of their son Jakub in April 2008, staggered to a nearby road to raise the alarm late at night in May last year.

During the trial, Kasprzak said he only meant to scare Miss Lewandowska, who lived with him, his parents and their son, and claimed he always intended to free her.

But he took her bank card and withdrew 500 pounds before heading to the home of his accomplice Patryck Borys, 18, where they were arrested hours later.

Julian Goose QC, mitigating for Kasprzak, said his client was of good character here and in Poland and he hadn’t planned to kill her from the beginning but had become angry.

David Hatton QC, for Borys, said he was just 17 at the time of the offence, was remorseful and played only a secondary role in the kidnap.

Sentencing Borys to four and a half years in a Young Offenders Institute, the judge said he had been “recruited” by Kasprzak.

Borys was cleared of attempted murder by a jury. He pleaded guilty to kidnap at a previous hearing. Kasprzak also admitted possessing a prohibited weapon.

Kasprzak was jailed for 20 years for attempted murder. He was also sentenced to 12 years for kidnap to run concurrently and 18 months for possessing the Taser, which will also run concurrently.

Speaking after the verdict, Miss Lewandowska said: “For many years I loved Marcin Kasprzak very much. But after his horrific attack upon me my feelings towards him have turned to hatred.

“My only hope is that he can accept that what he did to me was very wrong.

“I really hope that no one will ever experience what I went through on that day, at the hands of a man whom I loved and trusted.”

She added: “During my time inside my shallow grave where I was buried alive I feared that my life was at an end and I was going to die.

“I prayed to God to help me to survive so that I could look after my young son.

“The thought of my son gave me the strength to fight my way out of the box and save myself.”