Marathon run in memory of brave nephew

editorial image

The uncle of a brave former Brighouse High School pupil who died after a battle with cancer is set to run the London Marathon for the charity which supported him.

Nick Hardy, 48, is running the Virgin Money London Marathon in memory of his nephew, Will Binns.

The Southowram man was a fit and healthy 19-year-old who had just finished his exams and starting a plumbing apprenticeship.

His life was just beginning, having just bought his first car and met his girlfriend

However, when he fell off a ladder and sprained his ankle at work, and the swelling didn’t go down after a few weeks, Will was sent for a scan and learned that he had, in fact, being diagnosed with a very rare bone cancer. Ewing’s sarcoma.

Will’s chemotherapy and radiotherapy started immediately but his tumour continued to grow so he was re-admitted into hospital and was treated on the Teenage Cancer Trust unit at St James’s Hospital, Leeds.

Nick, from Hebden Bridge, said: “William was cared for brilliantly by Teenage Cancer Trust. All the staff looked after his every need and made sure he was comfortable and not in any pain.

“It will be a very emotional day for all of us but I really feel William will be with me, every mile along the way.”

Will was told that he had to have his leg amputated to remove the tumour, but he faced this with great bravery.

He made a great recovery after this massive operation and he then started to learn to walk and was looking forward to getting his new bionic leg.

Soon after Will found out that his cancer had spread to his pelvis and lungs.

He stayed on the Teenage Cancer Trust unit in Leeds to continue his treatment.

Sadly, on Friday April 24 2015, just 12 months after he was diagnosed with cancer, Will lost his incredibly brave battle for life at the age of 20.

Will’s friends and family including his mum Bev and fiancee Emily Coleman, father Jon, twin brothers Tom and Daniel, stepfather Mick and childhood best friends Lathaniel and Matthew and others surrounded William as he peacefully passed away on the Teenage Cancer Trust ward at St James’ Hospital.