Mystery over man found dead in recycling plant

Chris and son Alfie
Chris and son Alfie

A heartbroken family say they are in limbo not knowing the full facts surrounding the death of Chris Ogden.

The 23-year-old dad was found dead at a recycling plant after a night out.

His family’s grief is compounded by the circumstances surrounding his death.

Parents Jason Woodhead, 44, and Sharon Ogden, 42, of Ovenden, Halifax, said police told them the presumption is Chris fell asleep in an industrial bin outside a takeaway in Huddersfield.

He was in the bin which was then collected by a lorry and taken to the plant on Valley Farm Road, Leeds, where his body was found last Thursday (24th).

Police say the death is not suspicious but an inquest has yet to be opened while police inquiries continue to piece together his last moments.

Sharon said Chris, dad to 18-month-old Alfie and Evie, two, was a happy lad with a talent for drawing and music - he was a keen rapper.

“He was a loveable rogue who had turned his life around and liked going to the gym,” she said.

“He was a doting dad and and you can see how happy he was with Alfie.”

She said police called on the night of the 24th when Jason was away and she had to describe Chris’s tattoos to help identify him.

That left her stunned and in shock and she has hardly slept since wondering what happened on that night.

“I don’t know what to do. Jason keeps breaking down, his brother and sisters are in bits,” she said.

“I hate being sat here in limbo.”

Chris had been out in Huddersfield earlier that evening and it appears he had got split-up from a friend.

“It seems one big tragic accident but the police have not yet dotted the ‘i’s’ and dotted the ‘t’s’” said, Jason.

Chris was well known in Halifax and Elland where the family have lived.

The family say they are grateful to friends who had rallied round and sent messages of support.

Chris had two brothers, Phil, 26, Reece, 17, two sisters, Jemma, 21 and Courtney, 15. Grandparents Philip and Doreen Ogden, of Illingworth, David and the late Laraine Woodhead, of Claremount, and step-grandma Margaret.

Chris had been staying with friends in Elland and his official address was Union Street, Halifax.