Queensbury barbecue blaze sparks warning

editorial image

Fire chiefs are warning people about the dangers of barbecues as temperatures set to soar this week making it the perfect opportunity for a bit of alfresco dining.

The advice comes after an incident shortly after midnight on Sunday when two fire engines rushed to Bradshaw View, Queensbury, Bradford where a fire started in a garden shed after a barbecue had been packed away before it had fully extinguished.

The ensuing fire also ignited trees and the fence and spread to another shed in an adjoining garden before threatening to engulf a domestic garage belonging to a third property.

The sheds contained items including lawn mowing equipment, furniture, bikes and a garden bench.

Watch Commander Andrew Greenwood, from Illingworth Fire Station, said: “Both sheds were totally gutted. They were very lucky that it did not get into the next door’s garage as well.

“This incident shows how vital it is to ensure that your BBQ is completely out before putting it away.

“A mini heatwave has been forecast this week and people will no doubt be eager to get out in the sunshine and enjoy themselves. However, it’s so important to think about where to site your BBQ safely, away from anything that could catch light and also be mindful of our other top tips.”

BBQ safety advice:

Enjoy yourself, but don’t drink too much alcohol if you are in charge of the barbecue or any cooking!

Keep a bucket of water, sand or a garden hose nearby for emergencies.

Follow the safety instructions provided with disposable barbecues.

Never use petrol or paraffin to start or revive your barbecue; use only recognised lighters.

Never leave a barbecue or any cooking unattended.

Make sure your barbecue is well away from sheds, fences, trees, shrubs or garden waste.

Empty ashes onto bare garden soil, not into dustbins or wheelie bins. If they’re hot, they can melt the plastic and start a fire.

Fire chiefs are also warning about the dangers of barbecues when camping.

Area Manager for Fire Safety, Ian Bitcon said: “It is not uncommon for people to take a BBQ into a tent or caravan to keep warm at night. This is incredibly dangerous as carbon monoxide can build up and poison you whilst you sleep.

“It is odourless, tasteless and deadly.”