Smoke alarm warning after Bradford family has lucky escape

editorial image

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service has emphasised the importance of having working smoke alarms following a house fire in Bradford on Tuesday May 27.

In total ten people self-rescued before the arrival of firefighters from a terraced property in Westfield Road, Manningham which was left badly damaged by the blaze.

Five fire engines were mobilised following a call shortly after 6am. It’s believed the cause of the fire was accidental due to misusing an outside halogen floodlight inside the basement.

Station Commander for Keighley, Silsden and Haworth Mark Helliwell, said: “The resulting blaze caused 100 per cent fire damage to the basement and 30 per cent to a living room area above.

“Six adults and four children all got out and have had a lucky escape. There were signs that they had had some fire detection but had taken it down or it was not working.”

Smoke from the fire also spread to more than six adjoining properties which led to a brief evacuation.

As a result of this incident firefighters have been knocking door-to-door in the local area to promote home fire safety advice and the vital importance of having a working smoke alarm.

West Yorkshire Fire Service are also offering these tips for preventing electrical fires:

Don’t overload sockets

Switch off and unplug appliances when not in use

Always use the correct appliance for the correct purpose

When using halogen lighting ensure no combustibles are nearby

To book a free Home Fire Safety Check visit, call 0800 587 4536, or pop into your nearest fire station.