Tributes to footballer who died after collapsing in Brighouse match

Danny Wilkinson in action
Danny Wilkinson in action

Tributes have been paid to a non-league football player who died following a suspected heart attack during a match against Brighouse Town.

Monday night’s Integro League Cup clash between EVO-STIK Northern Premier League Brighouse Town and Shaw Lane AFC was abandoned after Daniel Wilkisnon collapsed on the pitch.

The Preliminary Round fixture was suspended soon after 9pm with an hour played

He was treated on the pitch at St Giles Road by medics for more than half an hour with CPR being administered before being rushed by ambulance to the Calderdale Royal Hospital in Halifax.

However, a statement from the Shaw Lane club chairman Craig Wood said: “It’s with great sadness that we have to announce the tragic loss of Daniel Wilkinson who has sadly passed away after collapsing on the pitch during the game last night, our thoughts and prayers are with him family and friends at this time.

“The club would like to thank everyone for their heartfelt messages and thoughts that we have received throughout the night. There are no more words at this time.”

Brighouse Town's ground at St Giles Road, Brighouse

Brighouse Town's ground at St Giles Road, Brighouse

Brighouse Town have also paid the following tribute to the footballer.

“Brighouse Town’s management, players, supporters and the entire non league community wish to pass on our sincerest sympathy and best wishes to the family and friends of Daniel at the loss of such a talented and committed footballer.

“Words are not enough to capture the complete sense of despair and desolation that surrounds the club this morning following last night’s tragic event.

“Our thoughts and support also go out to our footballing friends at Shaw Lane and huge thanks also must be paid to the volunteers and emergency response teams who tried valiantly to save Dan’s life. Rest in peace young man – the world is a poorer place without you.”

Daniel Wilkinson started his career at Hull City, signing his first professional contract in 2010, before loan moves to Harrogate Town and North Ferriby United.

He later played for Loughborough University, Scarborough Athletic and Goole before joining Shaw Lane.

A spokesperson for Barnsley Football club said: “It is with great sadness that Barnsley Football Club has today learned about the passing of local footballer Daniel Wilkinson.

“Daniel, who was aged just 26-years-old, sadly passed away after collapsing on the pitch while playing for Barnsley-based side Shaw Lane AFC in a game against Brighouse Town last night.

“Everyone at Barnsley Football Club sends their thoughts and condolences to Daniel’s family and friends at this very difficult time.”