Updated: Two men injured in Halifax barn fire which killed a number of animals

Two farmers were injured and a number of animals were killed following a fire in Halifax yesterday (Thursday).

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service contingency crews battled the ‘significant barn fire’ in Moor End Road, Mount Tabor.

Barn fire off Moor End Road, Mixenden.

Barn fire off Moor End Road, Mixenden.

The 25 crew members, as well as a number of specialist fire officers, were at the scene from around 10.24am yesterday and a crew was still there on Friday morning managing the scene.

Assistant Chief Fire Officer Dave Walton said: “Fortunately no people were seriously injured and we were able to prevent this rapidly spreading fire from involving the nearby farmhouse.

“Sadly a number of animals, housed inside part of the barn, have perished as a result of the fire, which took hold quickly.”

The farmers received burns to their hands whilst making attempts to tackle the fire prior to the arrival of fire crews. One also received burns to his forehead and both were treated by paramedics at the scene.

The animals which died included 12 calves, seven pigs, a horse and a number of chickens.

The cause of the fire, which was brought under control by yesterday lunchtime, is believed to be accidental, however, it is still under investigation.

Due to the nature of the fire it was left to burn out under supervision.

Reader Lucy Smith said: “I was just sat in the garden and I saw smoke which then turned to black smoke. Then I heard lots of explosions.”

The barn, measuring approximately 30 metres by 15 metres, contained a large amount of hay and was 100 per cent involved in fire.

The livestock was housed in one area as well as two four-by-four vehicles, farmyard machinery and a number of compressed gas cylinders.

The attending crews were a combination of fully qualified non-striking firefighters and Community Response Operatives who have basic training in fire and rescue response.

CROs only attend incidents under the supervision of Senior Fire Officers.

Contingency crews which were based at Illingworth, Mytholmroyd, Halifax, Huddersfield and Odsal fire stations attended.

ACO Walton added: “This incident occurred during strike hours, however, we arrived at the scene within nine minutes which is in line with our expectations for a rural, low risk area.

“There were limited water supplies due to the isolated location of the farm which made this a challenging incident.”