The historic Wellhead Snetzler Organ was rededicated with a service at Halifax Minster this afternoon (Sunday).
The 1770 Snetzler organ, which was first made for a prominent Halifax family, is being restored to its former glory and the service was a fitting celebration of the first stage of the work.
The organ had been missing for some years, but following detective work by Professor David Baker, an eminent organist and David Glover, a historian and genealogist, it was found in St Peter’s convent in Horbury, Wakefield.
The convent then donated the organ to the Minster and it will now be used for educational purposes.
Research into its history by David Glover revealed that the organ was commissioned by the well-to-do Waterhouse family from Johann Snetzler, an organ builder of Swiss origin who worked mostly in England.
Snetzler was recognised as the most famous organ builder of the 18th century.
Based in London, he built organs for Buckingham Palace, which have since been moved to Eton College and the Chapel Royal at St James’s Palace, as well as Beverley Minster and for the Boston Concert Hall in Massachusetts, USA.
Watch the video to hear the magnificent organ in action.