West Yorkshire Police officer facing sack over headbutt attack in bar


A West Yorkshire Police officer is facing the sack after being convicted of attacking a man in a bar.

PC Mark Carter has been suspended from duty after being found guilty of an assault in which he headbutted a man in the toilets of a popular gay club in Manchester.

Carter - a former Mr Gay UK - was convicted of assault by beating following a trial before magistrates last week.

It is understood the offence took place in the toilets at the Thompson’s Arms. The victim was a man Carter had been friends with on Facebook.

Carter, of Moor Lane Gomersal, near Leeds, was made the subject of a 12 month community order and told to carry out 250 hours of unpaid work.

He was also ordered to pay £100 compensation to his victim.

Det Chief Supt Clive Wain, of West Yorkshire Police’s Professional Standards Department, said: “West Yorkshire Police expects the very highest standards of its officers and staff, both on and off duty.

“Criminal behaviour or conduct which falls below this standard will not be tolerated.

“We note the verdict of the court in relation to this officer. PC Carter remains suspended from duty ahead of an internal misconduct hearing.”

Nick Smart, chairman of West Yorkshire Police Federation, said it would be inappropriate to comment until the conclusion of internal disciplinary procedures.

After being approached for an interview, Carter said he would be appealing the assault conviction and did not want to comment until matters were resolved but added that he wanted to “move on”.

In June 2011 Carter was cleared of charges of raping a man and carrying out two sexual assaults.

A jury returned not guilty verdicts on two rape and two sex assault charges alleged to have happened after a police Christmas night out in Leeds city centre in 2009.

He was alleged to have sexually assaulted three men earlier in the evening before raping a 22-year-old man in the room the officer was staying in at the Etap hotel.

The jury was unable to reach a verdict on a third sex assault charge but a decision was taken not to pursue a further trial.

Carter told the jury he believed the 22-year-old complainant had willingly gone back with him to the hotel to have sex.

Following the sex charge acquittals, Carter was then charged with possessing the anabolic steroid stanozolol.

He was due to face a further trial but the Crown Prosecution Service discontinued that case after accepting his account that the use of the drug was for a medicinal purpose within the terms of the Medicines Act 1968.

The officer remained suspended by West Yorkshire Police until the conclusion of the drugs matter and returned to work in Huddersfield in December 2011 after internal disciplinary action was taken.

After being cleared by the jury three years ago, Carter said: “Throughout all of this my worst fear was that I could be sent to prison. I would often think it is a terrible situation for anyone to have to face time in prison, and then I would think of my situation.

“I knew exactly how my life would be inside - I was a police officer, I was openly gay and I had been accused of being a rapist. Almost certainly the top three things nobody would want attached to their name when entering prison. But with that said, I knew I was innocent of all the charges.”

Carter first hit the headlines back in 2006 after being crowned Mr Gay UK at the Flamingo Club in Blackpool. He was said to have the full support of West Yorkshire Police following his win.