Woman hurt in house fire in Greetland


Fire crews were called to a house fire in Greetland this morning where a woman suffered minor burns.

Teams from Elland and Halifax were alerted to the blaze on Rochdale Road at 3.30am.

A cigarette left lit had burnt a mattress and duvet. A woman was treated for minor burns.

Watch Commander at Elland Fire Station Stephen Bates said the woman was fortunate to not have been more seriously injured.

He added smoke alarms had not been fitted at the home. If they had, he said they would have given an earlier warning.

For a free home fire safety check call West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service on 01274 682311.