Work to begin on damaged recycling site
The centre has been closed since July 19 when estranged former employee Trevor Lewis caused hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of damage after he went on a JCB rampage.
The work includes the construction of walkways to provide a route to waste and recycling containers, the erection of gates and fencing, lighting and signage, as well as an on site cabin for workers.
The cost of repairs will be met by SITA UK’s insurers and work will take place during weekdays from 7.30am to 5.30pm.
Councillor Scott Benton, Calderdale Council’s Cabinet member for corporate asset and facilities management, house and environment, said: “We are working closely with SITA UK and want to assure people that we are doing everything we can to get Eastwood back up and running as quickly as possible.
“The damage was extensive and we want people to have the same top-quality facilities that they had before the incident - it takes time to make sure the repairs are to the best possible standard.”
The repairs are expected to be completed by the end of the year and the centre should reopen shortly after.
Julie Craigie, SITA UK regional manager, said: “We recognise the inconvenience to local residents brought about through the closure of the site and are working hard to ensure repairs are carried out as soon as possible at no cost to the council and local tax payers.
“We anticipate that repair works will be complete by the end of the year and the site to reopen shortly afterwards when it will once again provide a valuable service to local residents and make a significant contribution to Calderdale’s recycling figures.”
Trevor Lewis, of Station Road, Hebden Bridge, was jailed for three years last month after Bradford Crown Court heard that he had destroyedthe recycling centre because he “hated his job” and suffered a breakdown.