Boxing: Frank books final date

Halifax Police Boxing Club's Frank Wilson is through to the Yorkshire finals of the Royal Navy Schoolboy Championship at Havercroft LC, Wakefield next weekend.

The 14-year-old from Todmorden was an impressive winner against John Gaskin from the Highfield ABC of Doncaster at the same venue to earn a clash against Sonny Boye Price of Steel City ABC, Sheffield.

Wilson fought hard in the first round but found Gaskin's southpaw stance difficult to deal with.

However, he then went up a gear in the second and third rounds with Gaskin visibly struggling with the pace. When the bout ended, Gaskin almost collapsed in Wilson's corner with Halifax coach Mick Rowe having to help remove his head gear.

Halifax also had 13-year-old Kyle Scully in action. He had a tough draw against the much more experienced Joe Jenkins from the Hillsborough ABC, Sheffield.

Scully comprehensively out-boxed Jenkins in the first round and Rowe said: "We thought this was going to be a giant killing"."

However, Scully sustained a pulled shoulder muscle and was unable to continue.

Rowe added: "These things happen in sport unfortunately, but we now know what Kyle is capable of."

There were also mixed fortunes for two Halifax boxers in an event hosted by the Bolton Boys & Girls ABC on Friday.

The Army were there in full force and so was Ricky Hatton, who won new friends.

"He chatted to all of the boxers, and posed for photos for everybody - a real down-to-earth guy," said Rowe.

Jack Sellars, the most experienced boxer at the Halifax club, always has tough fights. He was up against Ellis Waugh from Bolton Gloves ABC, who had an almost flawless record.

Although the 16-year-old Sellars found Ellis very awkward in the first rounds, he dominated from the outset and started to find his range in the second and third rounds. Sellars gained a majority decision. Next up for Halifax was Matthew Graham, a 24-year-old who had only had one previous bout for the club.

He was up against R. Greenhalgh, an Army fusilier, who had great support from the packed audience. The first round was close but the pressure of the night got to Graham and he was caught by some big shots.

Graham showed great courage to hang on until the bell and then came back in the third, catching Greenhalgh with some cracking shots which got the crowd on their feet. But Graham's efforts were too late and Greenhalgh won unanimously.

Anybody interested in getting fit or learning how to box should contact Rowe on 07870 266002.