Brighouse Town v Maltby Main: Brier furious after defeat

Brighouse Town 0 Maltby Main 5

MARK Brier could not hide his anger and disappointment after watching his side slide to a heavy home defeat on Saturday.

Brighouse featured only briefly while the second half dismissal of Nicky Boshell for a second yellow card only served to make matters worse.

Town were trailing 3-0 at the time and after making the decision to push on and try to salvage something from the game, Maltby hit them twice more on the counter-attack to seal an emphatic win.

Brier was particularly upset that the players did not seem up for the game before kick-off and they duly paid the price.

"We lost that game in the warm-up," said Brier. Our mental preparation was not right and I told the players so.

"I let them know in no uncertain terms that if they carried that attitude into the match then they would get well-beaten and that is exactly what happened.

"I still think 5-0 flattered Maltby a little bit, but there are no excuses. We were poor all through the 11.

"I never mind getting beaten if I can't fault the commitment. However, that was missing on Saturday and that is what I am most upset about.

"We also had a decent crowd in with Bradford City and Halifax Town's games being postponed and it was disappointing to lose in that manner in front of them.

"All in all a very bad day but I still believe the players at this football club have the ability to bounce back stronger than ever."

On Boshell's dismissal Brier added: "Nicky got booked for diving in the first 10 minutes of the second half when we were having our best spell of the game.

"He then picked up a second yellow for dissent over what we considered to be a stonewall penalty which was turned down.

"His sending off was nothing to do with the final outcome. We could have either sat back and settled for damage limitation or gone for it. We did the latter and they hit us with two counter-attacks."

Rob Branagan and Adam Shepherd had struck for the visitors before the half hour with Christopher Wood making it 3-0 in the 75th minute.

Daniel Jones then struck twice in the space of three minutes at the end to complete the scoring.