Football: Amateurs jettison Brighouse Town in shoot-out

HUDDERSFIELD Amateurs provided the shock of the day in a clean sweep for home sides in Saturday's quarter finals.

The Elland side, having a disappointing season in the Yorkshire Old Boys League, beat Brighouse Town 5-4 on penalties after the sides had drawn 3-3 in the rain.

They will meet holders Ovenden West Riding withHalifax AFL top flight sides Ryburn United and Warley Rangers in the other semi-finals.

With the Gibb Lane pitch unplayable, the game was switched to Old Earth, which held up well to heavy rain.

Town pressed for an early goal before Amateurs got a foothold in the game, squandering a number of chances.

Brighouse were denied by keeper Neil Heptonstall before Amateurs had a Si Beck goal chalked off for offside.

The hosts broke the deadlock after the break when Ben Manning lobbed the keeper from distance.

Town were spurred into a response and equalised shortly after when Phelps' wind-assisted effort beat Heptonstall.

Amateurs went back in front straight from the kick off as winger Rob Harwood's run and cross found Sam Frankland at the back post and he finished well.

Andrew Sutcliffe's powerful header from Harwood's pin point cross made it 3-1 but Town's high fitness levels began to prove beneficial.

Chris Dennison was gifted a clear opportunity and took full advantage before, with four minutes left, a shot in a goalmouth scramble went in off bewildered Amateurs defender Tom Burwell.

There was no addition to the score in extra time, in which several Amateurs players pulled up with cramp.

In the penalty shoot out Amateurs kept their cool with Danny Logan scoring the decisive spot kick for the blues.

Ovenden, their opponents on a neutral ground on February 19, ended AFL title favourites Hebden Royd Red Star's unbeaten start to the season with a 4-2 win.

Ovenden have had a rocky time recently but they raised their game against a Star side including a few of their former players.

West Riding were quickly out of the blocks and on 10 minutes Shaun Gibbons sent Damon Nicholls through to beat Glyn Claxton with a delicate chip.

Soon after, a sublime Kevin Megson through ball put John Booth in the clear for number two.

Red Star had their moments, a couple of goal-line clearances denying Andy Gregory and Alex Austin, and they got a goal back on 20 minutes when Robbie Graham needlessly handled and Gregory beat Chris Moroney from the spot.

The visitors had their best spell with Annis Khalifa and Jack Earle prominent in midfield and they pressed for an equaliser. Fullard was hauled back at the other end but Booth's spot kick hit an upright.

Ovenden did get a third on 55 minutes when a superb Nicholls cross was brought down by Fullard, who finished from 12 yards.

It looked all over when a crunching tackle from Martin Ayscough on Steve Senior enabled Fullard - later sent off for a second bookable offence - made it 4-1.

Booth missed the target three times when it looked easier to score and Alex Austin made it 4-2 when his wind-assisted corner deceived Moroney.

Gibbons and Booth squandered further chances but Ovenden's class told on the day.

Warley Rangers maintained their fine record of not having conceded a goal in the cup competitions this season by beating Ealandians 1-0 on Savile Park.

They were quickest out of the traps with Craig Reidy probing the Ealandians defence and Paul Kendall got the all-important goal after 35 minutes, cashing in on an error by the visitors and sliding the ball home from 10 yards.

Warley had the wind at their backs in the first half and had other chances, Dave Maguire missing the best of them when through one-on-one with the keeper.

The well-organised visitors, as expected, hit back after the break but were largely limited to long range efforts.

They went closest through Michael Midwood late on, his free kick being headed off the line by Micky Maguire.

Warley finished with 10 men as Reidy was taken to hospital with two broken ribs and they will be seeing plenty of Ryburn, their Challenge Cup quarter final foes.

Ryburn produced a fine fightback to beat West Riding CA visitors Halifax Irish Club 5-4.

They played with the wind in the first half but trailed to two goals from Pearson - a deflected shot and a second when they appealed in vain for offside - approaching half time.

However, Christian Silkstone pulled one back after good work from Nathan Hargreaves and then completed a quickfire hat-trick with two more soon after the break to put Ryburn 3-2 up.

Jake Travis followed up to equalise after a free kick had hit the post but Ryburn were now in the ascendancy and James Lawton and Silkstone set up Liam O'Neill to score before Silkstone bagged his fourth with a flashing shot from the edge of the box.

Irish had the final word with one minute to go.

See Tuesday's Courier for more of the weekend's football round up