Football: Holme shock Pine to reach last four

HOLLINS Holme produced the shock of the quarter finals in the Dave Pettifor Senior Cup as they staged an astonishing comeback to beat Premier Division side Falon Pine 3-1 on penalties after the sides had been locked at 5-5 after extra-time.

The outcome was also a victory for the Division One side's tenacity as they found themselves 4-0 down before Tom Booth sparked the fightback with a goal just before half-time.

It was a different story after the interval as Holme roared back into the contest with right winger Mike Hale the catalyst. He crossed for Ben Norman to nod home the second and it was from another centre by Hales that Andrew Butterworth pounced on the knockdown to make it 4-3.

Central defender Joe Gibson then levelled matters to take the tie into extra time.

Once again it was Pine who edged ahead but that man Gibson popped up again to set up the penalty shootout.

Five out of the nine spot kicks were missed but Butterworth, Booth and Norman found the target to book Holme's passage into the last four.

Royal Hotel were anxious to raise their game after being taken to extra time in the previous week's Halifax FA Cup tie against The Vine, and they did just that with a 5-2 success over Bradshaw Phoenix.

Phoenix started with 10 men and Royal missed chances to take advantage with Sam Taylor and James Dodd off target.

Royal did eventually hit the front when a short corner saw Chris Green cross only for a defender to head into his own net.

Dean Lawrence was then fouled on the edge of the area and Rob Gerrard curled in an excellent free-kick to make it 2-0 at the break

Phoenix pulled one back through James Gordon but after a reshuffle which saw Andy Farrell switch from midfield to striker, the player-boss chested down a Lawrence pass before volleying in his side's third.

Farrell added his second when he latched onto a fine ball from Dodd be fore rounding the keeper and then substitute Paul Friend combined with Matty Hoyle to set up Ryan Coupe to hammer home an excellent strike from distance.

Royal lost Curtis Cochrane to a red card following a two-footed tackle before Phoenix pulled a second goal back after catching the home side on the break

FC Bowling Green did not have things all their own way against FC Shoulder (Northowram), squeezing through 5-4 while Halifax Hammers secured their semi-final place with a 3-2 success at Carrington Rangers

The only Premier Division game of the day saw King Cross CB&AC stretch their lead at the top to eight points courtesy of a narrow 4-3 success at Mount Tabor.

More reports from the weekend's amateur football in Tuesday's Courier