Football: Lee Mount dump Carrington out

DIVISION Two side Lee Mount claimed the honours in an intriguing series of quarter-final matches after bouncing top flight basement boys Carrington Rangers out of the competition with a resounding 5-0 success.

The result was as one-sided as it looked and although Carrington battled hard Mount, who have started to play some decent football in recent matches, ran out worthy winners.

It was only new manager Lee Whitton's fourth game in charge and he saw his side take the lead just after the half hour following a goalmouth scramble.

Both sides were producing decent flowing football in the game, which was well refereed by Gary Porter, but it was mount who doubled their advantage before the break following a back pass.

By the time Mark Brown had made it 3-0 around the hour mark, the game was all but up for Carrington who fell further behind when Brown netted his second.

Substitute Jordan Pettifor then wrapped things up but it could have been even more as Mount hit the woodwork three times and were guilty of two glaring misses while Rangers' misery was compounded when they had a man sent off late on.

Mount's 'reward' for their giant-killing exploits is a semi-final clash with holders Royal Hotel, who struggled to see off Division One promotion hopefuls The Vine, finally progressing 3-1 after extra-time.

Both sides contributed to an end to end game in which chances were squandered and both keepers produced some fine saves.

Royal thought they had finally seen off The Vine when Matty Hoyle put them ahead late in the second half.

However, Vine boss Mark Richardson pushed Ben Orchard up front to make a three-pronged attack and the move paid off when Orchard netted with virtually the last kick of normal time.

Again both sides pushed for the winner with Vine far from outclassed and it needed two quality goals from Hoyle in the second period of extra time to finally see off their brave effort.

Elland Sports were another side to send higher-ranked opposition tumbling out with a 3-0 success at Premier Division Halifax Hammers to set up a last four clash with Bradshaw Phoenix

A high quality encounter saw both sides produce some wonderful football in difficult conditions which the Division One promotion favourites mastered better after the break.

Chances went begging at both ends with Michael Midwood twice hitting the woodwork as the first half ended goalless.

Elland made good use of the windy conditions after the break and finally hit the front when Midwood was brought down in the box and Carl Ainley stepped up to strike home from the spot.

Elland continued to make the running and it came as no surprise when Jacob Driver made it 2-0.

Hammers made a couple of changes and it looked as though that could bring some reward as they created a number of chances.

However, keeper Tom Greenwood thwarted the home side with a series of fine saves before Elland wrapped things up with a sucker punch, Midwood's free-kick into the heart of the penalty area was watched by the Hammers defence and Jordan Fulton was allowed to slot the ball home.

Second division Triangle were unable to overcome Phoenix as the visitors made their superior status count with a 2-0 win.

The semi-final matches are scheduled to be played on February 20.

Division Two

THORNHILL Briggs remain the club to catch after their 6-2 success over struggling Top Club.

Damon Ambler helped himself to a hat-trick while further goals came from Glen Hall, Ryan Collins and Matthew Whiteley.

Stallions suffered their first defeat of the season after Royd Club beat them 1-0 while Elland Sports Reserves were 3-1 home winners over Hebden Bridge.

Rastrick hit nine without reply past Halifax Rangers Reserves while Stubbing Wharf picked up maximum points from a 2-1 home success over Ryburn United.

See Tuesday's Courier for more of the weekend's football round up